Monday, July 18, 2011

Evil Days

“At present, in this vicinity, the best part of the land is not private property; the landscape is not owned, and the walker enjoys comparative freedom. But possibly the day will come when it will be partitioned off....when fences shall be multiplied, and man-traps and other engines invented to confine men to the public road, and walking over the surface of God’s eath shall be construed to mean trespassing on some gentleman’s grounds... Let us improve our opportunities, then, before the evil days come.”

--Thoreau, “Walking” 

3 comments:

MechanismNice said...

This got me thinking on whether I would give up the benefits of progress in exchange for open lands. I was just thinking to myself:
Totally, how much do I really care about science and medicine? Does that shit supply the deep need I have inside me to actually live or is it simply the result of the diarrhea of human curiosity, because of a animal need to dominate our own and other species?"
But then I realized how much I like having sex, and how I get to have lots of sex and not make babies to take care of because of science. Also, I think we just have more sex than Thoreau did in his time. Wasn't it like all proper n' shit, semi-victorian or whatevs? Didn't they have to write hella letters to betty's before they could even talk, lest they actually be alone without supervision. And perish the thought of taking a girl out to a bar! Or meet one. I mean, I bet Thoreau didn't have a lot of sex. Or at least as much as I have or want to have. Right?

Or am I way off here?

MechanismNice said...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/12/us/most-dangerous-cities-for-walking.html?ref=us

Ryan said...

I need to learn more about the life of Thoreau